Anna Z. Aldrich
1. When you hear the old shibboleth that “women don’t have a sense of humor” or are “less funny than men,” your immediate response is___________________.
Ha! Poor things, the only people who don't think women are funny are those who can't grasp a smart joke to save their life.
2. Were you funny as a kid? Were you funnier (or less funny) as teenager?
I thought I was funny as a kid, I still think so. Not sure if other people agree with that or if they're still humoring the 11-year-old girl who made a movie series about a time-travelling hippie, flagrantly violating the Beatles' copyright in the process.
3. What’s the most notable way your life would be different if you didn’t have your sense of humor?
It would be intolerable. Humor is the only thing keeping me sane most days. To suffer is human, to laugh is divine.
4. If you could have a magnificent dinner with three women—real, fictional, mythological—who would you choose as your guests?
Dorothy Parker, Margaret Atwood and Theodora.
5. Do you think those closest to you admire you for your sense of humor—or despite your sense of humor?
I say anything's worth happening if it can be a funny story later. I think people admire my ability to laugh at things that once seemed like the worst in the world.